THIS WEEK IN PANTHER TENNIS
Sat. April 7 vs. Bradley 12:00 p.m
Sun. April 8 vs. Illinois State 12:00 p.m.
The University of Northern Iowa women's tennis team (10-6) will continue MVC play this weekend at home. They will host Bradley on Saturday at noon, and then they will take on Illinois State on Sunday at noon. Both of the matches will be held at Byrnes Park in Waterloo, Iowa.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
- This will be the 17th match of the season for Bradley University. The Braves are 3-12 on the spring season. They began MVC last weekend when they were swept by the Illinois State Redbirds. Bradley will play Drake University on Friday before taking on the Panthers on Saturday. Last season, UNI defeated Bradley 6-1.
- Illinois State will be playing in it's 17th match of the season. The Redbirds have a 7-8 record on the year so far. They won their MVC opener, defeating the Bradley Braves, 7-0. The Redbirds will take on Drake University on Saturday and then will face the Panthers on Sunday. UNI defeated Illinois State 5-2 last season.
PANTHERS START MVC PLAY 0-1
- UNI opened up MVC play last weekend against the Drake Bulldogs, and the Panthers were defeated 4-3. Jessica Kunzelmann and Chelsea Moore both had single wins for the Panthers that day. The doubles teams of Kunzelmann/Nina Pfahler and Moore/Stefannia Sampaio also earned wins UNI.
KUNZELMANN ON TOP
- Jessica Kunzelmann is now the lone leader on the top of the all-time career singles win list. Her win against Gabriela Demos of Drake last weekend gave her 87 wins to put her on the top spot.
PANTHERS GO 2-1 ON SPRING BREAK TRIP
- The Panthers had a 2-1 record on their spring break trip to Tennessee. The first day UNI defeated the University of Tennessee-Martin 6-1. The following day they swept Murray State 7-0. The Panthers fell to Middle Tennessee State 5-2. Jessica Kunzelmann had two singles wins on the weekend, and that helped move her up the all-time career singles list. The three doubles teams of Cassandra Dix/Krissy Lankelma, Jessica Kunzelmann/Nina Pfahler, and Stefannia Sampaio/Chelsea Moore all went undefeated on the trip. Stefannia Sampaio was the lone Panther to earn three singles wins on the trip when she defeated Taylor Coffey of Middle Tennessee State, 6-2, 6-0.
PANTHERS HAVE SUCCESS IN WISCONSIN
- The Panthers returned from their road trip to Wisconsin last weekend with two wins. UNI defeated Milwaukee 4-3 on Friday and they swept Green Bay 7-0 on Saturday. Jessica Kunzelmann had two singles wins on the weekend, helping her to move up the all-time career singles wins list. Krissy Lankelma and Chelsea Moore also had two singles wins on the weekend. The doubles teams of Kunzelmann/Nina Pfahler and Moore/Stefannia Sampaio had two wins on the weekend as well.
IN-STATE RIVALS GET BEST OF PANTHERS
- The Panthers took on both the University of Iowa and Iowa State last weekend. The Hawkeyes defeated the Panthers 7-0 in Iowa City last Saturday. The Panthers then fell to Iowa State 7-0 at home on Sunday. The lone win of that match came from the doubles team of Krissy Lankelma and Cassandra Dix who defeated Maria Fernanda Macedo and Jenna Langhorst of Iowa State 8-4 in the No. 1 match. With no singles wins this weekend, Jessica Kunzelmann remains in fourth place on the all-time career singles win list.