THIS WEEK IN PANTHER TENNIS
Sat. April 21 at Creighton 11:00 a.m
Sun. April 22 at Wichita State 10:00 a.m.
The University of Northern Iowa women's tennis team (11-9) will conclude regular season play this weekend. The Panthers will head to Omaha to take on Creighton University on Saturday at 11:00 a.m at the Koch Family Tennis Center. They will then travel south to take on the Wichita State Shockers at 10:00 a.m. on Sunday. The match will be played at the Sheldon Coleman Tennis Complex.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
- Creighton University will be playing in it's 19th match of the season. The Bluejays are 10-8 on the spring season. They are 1-4 in the Missouri Valley Conference with their one win coming against Bradley University. Creighton will play its finals match of the regular season against Drake on Sunday. Last season, the Panthers defeated the Jays 7-0.
- This will be the 23rd and final match of the regular season for Wichita State. The Shockers have a 16-5 record this year. They will play Drake before they take on the Panthers on Sunday. Wichita State is 5-0 in Missouri Valley Conference, and they won four of those matches by a score of 7-0. The Panthers fell to the Shockers 5-2 last season.
ROUGH WEEKEND FOR PANTHERS
- UNI suffered two losses on the road last weekend. The Panthers fell to Evansville 5-2 on Saturday. Chelsea Moore and Krissy Lankelma had the two singles wins for the Panthers that day. On Sunday, the Panthers were defeated by Southern Illinois 6-1. Jessica Kunzelmann was the lone Panther with a singles victory. She also teammed up with Chelsea Moore to have the only doubles win on the day for UNI.
PANTHERS GET FIRST MVC WIN
- The UNI tennis team got their first Missouri Valley Conference win this weekend against Bradley University. The Panthers defeated the Braves 6-1 at home. UNI then fell to Illinois State 6-1 the next day. Krissy Lankelma was the lone Panther to have two singles wins on the weekend. The doubles team of Chelsea Moore and Stefannia Sampaio were the only team to get two doubles wins for the Panthers last weekend.
PANTHERS START MVC PLAY 0-1
- UNI opened up MVC play last weekend against the Drake Bulldogs, and the Panthers were defeated 4-3. Jessica Kunzelmann and Chelsea Moore both had single wins for the Panthers that day. The doubles teams of Kunzelmann/Nina Pfahler and Moore/Stefannia Sampaio also earned wins UNI.
KUNZELMANN ON TOP
- Jessica Kunzelmann is now the lone leader on the top of the all-time career singles win list. She took the top spot after defeating Gabriela Demos of Drake on March 31.
PANTHERS GO 2-1 ON SPRING BREAK TRIP
- The Panthers had a 2-1 record on their spring break trip to Tennessee. The first day UNI defeated the University of Tennessee-Martin 6-1. The following day they swept Murray State 7-0. The Panthers fell to Middle Tennessee State 5-2. Jessica Kunzelmann had two singles wins on the weekend, and that helped move her up the all-time career singles list. The three doubles teams of Cassandra Dix/Krissy Lankelma, Jessica Kunzelmann/Nina Pfahler, and Stefannia Sampaio/Chelsea Moore all went undefeated on the trip. Stefannia Sampaio was the lone Panther to earn three singles wins on the trip when she defeated Taylor Coffey of Middle Tennessee State, 6-2, 6-0.