THIS WEEK IN PANTHER TENNIS
Saturday, Feb. 25 at. Iowa 12:00 PM
Sunday, Feb. 26 vs. Iowa State 11:00 AM
The University of Northern Iowa women's tennis team will face two in-state rivals this weekend. They will travel to Iowa City to take on the University of Iowa Hawkeyes on Saturday at 12:00 p.m. The match will be held at Hawkeye Tennis and Recreation Complex. The Panthers will then return home to host the Iowa State Cyclones on Sunday at 11:00 a.
SCOUTING THE OPPONENTS
- This will be sixth match of the spring season for the University of Iowa. The Hawkeyes are 3-2 on the season. Earlier this year, they defeated Iowa State 4-3. Iowa also defeated MVC team Illinois State 7-0 this season. Last season the Panthers lost to the Hawkeyes 7-0.
- Iowa State will be playing in its eighth match of the spring season. The Cyclones are 0-7 so far this year. They were defeated by the University of Iowa, 4-3, earlier this year. Last season, the Panthers lost a close battle with the Cyclones, who won the match 4-3.
UNI SCORES PERFECT WEEKEND
- The Panther had a successful weekend, both at home and on the road last weekend. On Saturday they hosted Western Illinois and swept the Leathernecks 7-0. They then traveled to Des Moines on Sunday to take on both Chicago State and UMKC. They defeated the Cougars of Chicago State 5-2. The Panthers then played the University of Missouri-Kansas City Kangaroos later that day and won that match 4-3. Krissy Lankelma was the only Panther to go 2-0 on the day in singles play. The doubles teams of Cassandra Dix/Krissy Lankelma and Chelsea Moore/Stefannia Sampaio were also 2-0 on the day. Jessica Kunzelmann earned two singles wins last weekend to put her closer to the top of the all-time career singles wins list.
KUNZELMANN GETTING CLOSER TO THE TOP
- Jessica Kunzelmann is making her way to the top of the all-time career singles wins list. She currently has 82 career wins which puts her fourth on the list. She is only four wins away from the leader, Carolinna Hannes, who has 86 total wins.
TOUGH WEEKEND FOR PANTHERS
- The Panthers suffered two loses on the road last weekend. They fell to the No. 29 University of Nebraska Huskers, 7-0. They also lost to the Air Force Academy Eagles 6-1. Freshman Nina Pfahler was the lone singles winner for the Panthers against Air Force. She defeated the Eagles' Melissa Cecil in the No. 1 match. Pfahler and teammate Jessica Kunzelmann had the only doubles win for the Panthers against Air Force.
PANTHERS 3-0 ON THE SEASON
- UNI defeated both Northern Illinois and North Dakota, 6-1, this weekend. Cassandra Dix, Jessica Kunzelmann, Chelsea Moore, and Stefannia Sampaio all had two single wins this weekend, keeping them perfect on the year. The doubles teams of Kunzelmann/Pfahler and Dix/Sampaio also had two wins this weekend.
PANTHERS START SEASON OFF RIGHT
- UNI swept the South Dakota Jackrabbits, 7-0, at the Panther's season opener last Saturday at home. Freshman Nina Pfahler took the win in the No.1 spot, fellow freshman Cassandra Dix won the No. 2 match, and senior Jessica Kunzelmann won her No. 3 match. Sophomores Krissy Lankelma and Chelsea Moore took home a win in the No.1 doubles match.