THIS WEEK IN PANTHER VOLLEYBALL
Wed, Sep 5 at Iowa State 6:30 p.m.
Ambassador Hotel Golden Eagle Classic- Milwaukee, Wis..
Sat, Sep 8 Wake Forest 10:00 a.m.
Michigan 5:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 9 Marquette 2:00 p.m.
UNI SET TO FACE NO. 18 IOWA STATE, TRAVEL TO GOLDEN EAGLE CLASSIC
The No. 25 University of Northern Iowa volleyball team (4-2) will head to Ames to take on in-state rival the No.18 Iowa State Cyclones at 6:30 p.m. The match will take place at the Hilton Coliseum. The Panthers will then travel to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, for the Ambassador Hotel Golden Eagle Classic this weekend. UNI will face Wake Forest and No. 23 Michigan on Saturday and Marquette on Sunday. The matches will take place at the Al McGuire Center on the Marquette campus.
The matches will be carried by KWLO 1330 AM with Chris Kleinhans-Schultz calling the action. Audio for all matches is also available on www.unipanthers.com.
PANTHER QUICK SETS...
- UNI is currently ranked No. 25 in the latest AVCA poll.
- The Panthers travelled to Los Angeles, California, over the weekend for the Luxe City Center Trojan Invitational. UNI first faced the Boston College Eagles and defeated them 25-17, 22-25, 25-22, 25-7. In the second game of the tournament, the Panthers had to face No. 5 USC and fell 18-25, 20-25, 16-25. This was the second weekend in a row that the UNI Panthers had to take on a team ranked in the Top 10. UNI went up against Mississippi State in the final game of the Trojan Invite and they defeated the Bulldogs 25-20, 26-24, 25-20, to take second place in the tournament.
- Senior Krista DeGeest and junior Shelby Kintzel were named to the Luxe City Center Trojan Invitational All-Tournament Team. DeGeest had 31 kills and two solo blocks for the Panthers. Kintzel also had 31 kills over the weekend.
- Candice Burke was named MVC Defensive Player of the Week. Burke recorded 12 digs in UNI's 3-1 win over Boston College at the Luxe City Center Trojan Invitational over the weekend. In the second game of the tournmament, Burke tallied 20 digs and two service aces in the Panther's 0-3 loss against No.5 USC. The final match was against Mississppi State and Burke recorded 18 digs and two service aces to help lead UNI to a 3-0 win. This is the third time in her career that Burke has earned Defensive Player of the Week.
SCOUTING IOWA STATE
- The No. 18 Iowa State Cyclones are currently 2-3 on the season. They went 1-2 in the Comcast Lady Vol Classic on Aug 24-25. ISU recently defeated No. 20 Illinois 3-2 last Saturday. The Cyclones currently have a .211 attack percentge. Freshman Mackenzie Bigbee leads ISU with 3.29 kills/set. She tied the ISU record for kills by a freshman in a single game with 25 against Illinois. Victoria Hurtt follows Bigbee with 2.43 kills/set. Alison Landwehr leads the way for ISU with 10.76 assists/set and Kristen Hahn is in the lead with 4.29 digs/set. UNI leads the overall series against ISU 32-24. The Panthers defeated the Cyclones 3-0 in the McLeod Center last year.
SCOUTING WAKE FOREST
- Wake Forest enters the weekend with a 3-1 record after winning the Deacon Inviational last weekend. The Demon Deacons currently have a .269 attack percentage. Andrea Beck leads Wake Forest with 4.17 kills/set followed by Kristin Grissom with 2.44 kills/set. Beck has a .417 attack percentage and was named the Deacon Invitational MVP. Danae Rosendall leads the way for the Demon Deacons with 10.61 assists/set. This wil be the first meeting between UNI and Wake Forest.
- No. 22 Michigan enters the weekend with a 7-0 record after winning both the Missouri Tiger Invitational (Aug 24-25) and the Adidas/Michigan Challenge (Aug 31-Sep 1). The Wolverines currently have a .279 attack percentage. Lexi Erwin leads Michigan with 4.42 kills/set followed by Kelly Murphy with 3.21 kills/set. Erwin was named Big-Ten Co-Player of the Week for the week of August 27th. Lexi Dannemiller recorded 11.17 assists/set and Tiffany Morales leads the Wolverines with 3.88 digs/set. This will be only the second meeting for Michigan and UNI. Michigan defeated the Panthers 3-1 back in 1992.
- Marquette enters the weekend with a 4-1 record after winning the Xavier Invitational last weekend. The Golden Eagles currently have a .252 attack percentage. Danielle Carlson and Erin Lehman are tied with 3.06 kills/set to lead Marquette. Elizabeth Kolberstein leads the way for Marquette with 11.50 assists/set. Kolberstein was named to the Big East Conference Weekly Honor Roll as well as being named MVP of the Xavier Invitational. The Panthers lead the overall series against the Golden Eagles 3-1. UNI defeated Marquette 3-0 last season at the McLeod Center.
MORTAR BOARD PREMIER
- The Panthers had to take on the No. 7 Purdue Boilermakers in the first day of play in the Mortar Board Premier in West Lafayette, Indiana on Aug 24-25. The Panthers put up a fight, but it was not quite enough. UNI fell to Purdue 23-25, 23-25, 18-25. The next day of play UNI swept Pittsburgh 25-19, 25-21, 25-18 in the morning and went on to defeat George Washington 25-14, 25-12, 25-18, to finish 2-1 in the tournament. Seniors Amy Braun and Megan Lehman both earned spots on the Mortar Board All-Tournament team this weekend. Braun recorded 37 kills, 22 digs and six service aces for the Panthers. Lehman had 29 kills and .370 hitting percentage.
BEST OF THE BEST
- The Panthers head into the 2012 season with a No. 21 ranking in the American Volleyball Coaches Association preseason poll . UNI returns four starters from last season when the Panthers went an impressive 33-2 overall and a perfect 18-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference.
PICKED TO WIN IT ALL
- UNI has been selected as the overwhelming favorite to win the Missouri Valley Conference in 2012 as voted on by the Valley's coaches. UNI received all 10 first place votes in the preseason poll. Last year was the third straight season that the Panthers went 18-0 in league play.
- Seniors Amy Braun and Krista DeGeest were both named to the MVC Pre-Season All Conference Team.
- UNI made its sixth consecutive NCAA tournament appearance during the 2011 season.This also marks the 17th time that the Panthers have made it in the program's history. UNI has an 13-17 overall record in NCAA tournament play. Head Coach Bobbi Petersen has led the Panthers to nine NCAA tournament trips. UNI is 8-9 in NCAA tourament play under Petersen, including two trips to the Sweet 16.
MVC CHAMPS... AGAIN
- In 2011, the Panthers earned their 16th Missouri Valley Conference Tournament title by sweeping Wichita State, 3-0, in the championship match and earned an automatic bid to the 2011 NCAA Tournament. Thanks to their 2011 league title, the Panthers now have five MVC regular season championships under head coach Bobbi Petersen and 15 overall. These 15 titles came in 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
- Senior Krista DeGeest earned honorable mention 2011 AVCA All-America honors. She and fellow senior Amy Braun were both selcted as first team all-Missouri Valley Conference picks for the 2011 season.
MVC SCHOLAR ATHLETES
- Amy Braun, Jenny Willms and Shelby Kintzel all earned MVC Scholar-Athlete first team status during the 2011 season.