CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - The Northern Iowa Wrestling crowned three champions and had a medalist in every weight class at the UNI Open presented by Doughy Joey's.
Ryan Loder won his second UNI Open in the 184-pound weight class. Loder logged two pins before claiming his title, with the fastest being in 1:08 over Alex Daughtery of Minnesota.
"He's going to grind out wins and be stingy with points," said head coach Doug Schwab. "When you put a string of wins together, it elevates your whole level."
In the 157-pound weight class, David Bonin racked up several points by scoring major decisions against his first three opponents.
Cody Caldwell had one pin in 3:10, a technical fall and a major decision to win at 174 pounds.
"He's hard to beat when he is flowing and attacking and not tightening up. He just needs to stay relaxed," said Schwab.
Overall placewinners for UNI:
- 125 - Dylan Peters 4th
- 133 - Tyler Willers 6th
- 141 - Joey Lazor 2nd, Gunnar Wolfensperger 4th, Tyler Patten 6th
- 149 - Zach Witte 4th
- 157 - David Bonin 1st, Taylor Berger 6th
- 165 - Cooper Moore 4th, Jarrett Jensen 6th
- 174 - Cody Caldwell 1st
- 184 - Ryan Loder 1st
- 197 - Jared Bartel 5th
- 285 - Cody Krumwiede 2nd, Blayne Beale 4th
"We're trying to make little adjustments on matches we aren't coming out on top. We need to be ready at the start and win the first period," said Schwab. "When you have that many competing, you will have your ups and downs. This was a good field."
Dylan Peters, whose high school record is 195-1, lost his first two matches of the season tonight. He also had two pins for the day.
"He's a prime example," said Schwab. "He gains steam, but we need to make sure we start it early. He got valuable experience today."
Krumwiede had a pin and major decision before falling to the champion Pat Walker of Illinois.
"We want more from him, and so does he," said Schwab. "It's promising when a freshman is winning a lot of matches. We just try to emphasize you can make an impact now. You don't have to wait until you are a senior."
The coaching staff credited the volunteers' help for making the event a success.
"It takes a lot of volunteers putting in so many hours to make this run so smoothly. We can never thank coordinators like Larry Hamilton and Dan Summerhays enough for putting this together," said Schwab.
Twenty-four teams were entered: Central Missouri, Ellsworth Community College, Grandview College, Illinois, Indianapolis, Iowa Central Community College, Iowa State, University of Iowa, King College, Lindenwood, Michigan State, Minnesota State-Mankato, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern, Purdue, South Dakota State, United States Military Academy Preparatory School, University of Dubuque, Upper Iowa University, Wartburg and Wisconsin.
The Panthers will be in action next week at home. UNI will host Ellsworth Community College at 7 p.m. Dec. 13. Fans who bring an unwrapped gift for the Toys for Tots charity will get free admission to the wrestling meet.
- DYLAN PETERS 4th (3-2): Peters pinned Jerelle McCabe (King College) 4:09; Peters dec. Camden Eppert (Purdue) 7-6; Cory Clark (Iowa) dec. Peters, 14-10; Peters pinned David Demo (Minnesota State) 3:31; Thomas Gilman (Iowa) dec. Peters, 3-2.
- MARK JOLCOVER (0-2): Mitch Funk (Upper Iowa) maj. dec. Jolcover 10-2; Tanner Schmidt (Upper Iowa) dec. Jolcover, 6-1.
- TYLER WILLERS 6th (3-3): Willers TF Lincoln Monroe (Upper Iowa) 20-3; Zane Richards (Illinois) maj. dec. Willers, 19-9; Willers pinned Kyle Larson (Iowa State) 3:13; Willers maj. dec. Monroe (Upper Iowa) 15-2; Alphonso Vruno (Minnesota State) maj. dec. Willers, 15-3; Garrison White (Northwestern) tech fall Willers, 16-0.
- ADAM PERRIN (1-1): Perrin maj. dec. Jordan Roths (Upper Iowa) 15-3; Nick Lawrence (Purdue) dec. Perrin, 3-10; Topher Carton dec. Perrin 7-6.
- GUNNAR WOLFENSPERGER 4th (4-2): Wolfensperger pinned Eric Beninga (Ellsworth) 1:18; Wolfensperger maj. dec. Adrian Collier (University of Dubuque) 16-4; Wolfensperger dec. Joshua Shupe (Minnesota) 5-0; BJ Futrell (Illinois) dec. Wolfensperger 10-4; Wolfensperger dec. Patten (UNI) 7-5; Steven Rodrigues (Illinois) dec. Wolfensperger, 7-5.
- JOEY LAZOR 2nd (4-1): Lazor dec. Brandon Nelson (Purdue) 7-6; Lazor dec. Tyler Lashbrook (Ellsworth) 5-0; Lazor tech. fall Matt Paulus (Upper Iowa) 18-3; Lazor dec. Steven Rodrigues (Illinois) 6-2; BJ Futrell (Illinois) dec. Lazor 8-2;
- TYLER PATTEN 6th (4-3): Patten pinned Elijah Bowles (Ellsworth) 2:05; Patten dec. Duane Richardson (Upper Iowa) 8-3; Steven Rodrigues (Illinois) dec. Patten, 7-2; Patten dec. Tyler Lashbrook (Ellsworth) 5-1; Patten pinned Matt Paulus (Upper Iowa) 6:29; Wolfensperger (UNI) dec. Patten, 7-5; Rylan Lubeck (Wisconsin) dec. Patten, 5-2.
- ZACH WITTE 4th (4-2): Witte maj. dec. Ty Ethridge (Lindenwood) 15-3; Witte dec. Patrick Rhoads (Iowa) 2-1; Witte dec. Jarod Donar (Minnesota); Matt Mincey (Minnesota) dec. Witte, 3-2; Witte dec. Tom Giaimo (Minnesota) 7-6; Caleb Ervin (Illinois) dec. Witte, 7-4.
- TAYLOR BERGER 6th (3-3): Logan Molina (Iowa State) dec. Berger 4-0; Berger medical default Bryce Givens (Indianapolis); Berger dec. Jeremy Miller (King College) 2-1; Berger maj. dec. Dominic Chase (Iowa State) 12-3; Berger dec. Aaron Sorenson (Iowa State) 9-4; Logan Molina (Iowa State) dec. Berger, 4-2; Tommy Churchard (Purdue) maj. dec. Berger, 17-2.
- DAVID BONIN 1st (5-0): Bonin maj. dec. Alex Yde (Wisconsin) 18-6; Bonin maj. dec. Alex Folk (Minnesota State) 16-5; Bonin maj. dec. Tommy Churchard (Purdue) 13.4; Bonin dec. Logan Molina (Iowa State) 2-1; Bonin dec. Matt Nora (Illinois) 6-1.
- CURT MAAS (2-2): Matt Nora (Illinois) maj. dec. Maas 12-2; Maas dec. Bruce Lumzy (Upper Iowa) 7-4; Maas dec. Alex Folk (Minnesota State) 13-6; Ben Sulivan (Northwestern) dec. 10-8.
- KYLE LUX (2-2): Lux pinned TJ Parker (Lindenwood) 4:08; Conrad Polz (Illinois) pinned Lux 5:45; Lux pinned Jesse East (Iowa Central) 0:37; Lux maj. dec. Travis Curley (Michigan State); 8-0; Cooper Moore (UNI) dec. Lux, 8-1.
- COOPER MOORE 4th (4-2): Moore pinned Devoniere Jackson (Iowa Central) 1:53; Moore pinned Dan Williams (Iowa Western) 3:47; Issac Jordan (Wisconsin) dec. Moore, 5-1; Moore dec. Kyle Lux (UNI) 8-1; Moore tech fall Cody Quinn (Minnesota State) 15-0; Moore dec. Jensen (UNI) 4-0; Isaac Jordan (Wisconsin) dec. Moore, 9-3.
- RILEY BANACH (3-2): Banach dec. Jeffrey Weiss (Indianapolis) 7-0; Banach dec. Brandon Lopez (Illinois) 12-6; Banach dec. Kyle Mosier (Purdue) 8-5; Patrick Robinson (Purdue) dec. Banach, 3-2.
- JARRETT JENSEN 6th (3-3): Jensen dec. Travis Curley (Michigan State) 4-0; Jensen maj. dec. Nate Woodard (Ellsworth) 12-0; Jensen dec. Lelund Weatherspoon (Iowa State) 7-4; Michael Moreno (Iowa State) dec. Jensen, 8-2; Cooper Moore (UNI) dec. Jensen, 4-0; Patrick Robinson (Purdue) dec. Jensen, 6-5.
- CODY CALDWELL 1st (4-0): Caldwell pinned Jesse Masters (King College) 3:10; Caldwell tech fall Eddie Mora (Ellsworth) 22-6; Caldwell dec. Blake Sorenson (Upper Iowa) 5-1; Caldwell maj. dec. Chad Welch (Purdue) 12-1.
- AARON MCMURPHY (2-2): Dylan Azinger (Wartburg) dec. McMurphy, 6-2; McMurphy maj. dec. Roy Daniels (King College) 10-0; McMurphy dec. Brendan Eichmann (Minnesota State) 3-2; Kris Klapprodt (Iowa) dec. McMurphy, 7-2.
- RYAN LODER 1st (5-0): Loder dec. Jeff Koepke (Illinois) 4-2; Loder pinned Alex Daughtery (Minnesota) 1:08; Loder pinned Tyler Christensen (Iowa State) 2:49; Loder dec. Alex Meyer (Iowa) 9-2; Loder dec. Sam Brooks (Iowa) 7-4.
- AUSTIN GELBACH (1-2): Gelbach maj. dec. Matt Leveille (University of Dubuque) 14-3; Joe Lamanna (Illinois) dec. Gelbach, 9-2; Jacob Berkowitz (Northwestern) dec. Gelbach, 3-1.
- JARED BARTEL 5th (4-2): Bartel pinned Cooper Hays (Minnesota State) 3:41; Jeremy Fahler (Iowa) dec. Bartel, 4-3; Bartel dec. Trevor Voelker (Iowa State) 5-0; Bartel dec. Cabell (UNI) 6-1; Bartel dec. Jeremy Fahler (Iowa) 3-1; Tomas Lira (Iowa) dec. Bartel, 10-5; Bartel forfeit over Timmy McCall (Wisconsin).
- BLAIZE CABELL (1-2): Cabell dec. Josh DaSilveira (Ellsworth) 3-1; Braden Atwood (Purdue) maj. dec. Cabell, 11-1; Bartel (UNI) dec. Cabell, 6-1.
- AJ MCBROOM (1-2): Phil Hawes (Wartburg) dec. McBroom, 7-3; McBroom pined Issac Hopkins (Ellsworth) 3:53; Timmy McCall (Wisconsin) maj. dec. McBroom, 12-1.
- KYLE BEALE (0-2): Abe Graziano pinned Beale, 6:48; Trevor Voelker (Iowa State) maj. dec. Beale, 10-2.
- BLAYNE BEALE 4th (: Pat Walker (Illinois) dec. Beale, 2-0; Beale dec. Jon Sanlan (Iowa State) 4-2; Beale dec. Tyler Swope (Iowa State) 4-0; Beale pinned Zach Rosol (Upper Iowa) 2:57; Beale maj. dec. Andrew Lutterloh (King College) 10-1; Beale dec. Chris Lopez (Illinois) 2-0; Michael Kroells (Minnesota) dec. Beale, 5-2.
- CODY KRUMWIEDE 2nd (4-1): Krumwiede dec. Josh Haug (Iowa) 4-1; Krumwiede pinned Jacob Clark (Central Missouri) 4:00; Krumwiede maj. dec. Jeremy Brazil (Upper Iowa) 9-0; Krumwiede dec. Chris Lopez (Illinois) 2-1 OT; Pat Walker (Illinois) maj. dec. Krumwiede, 8-0.