Iowa Western Community College vs. UNI
Site: Cedar Falls, Iowa
Venue: West Gym
Date: Jan. 5, 2013
Time: 7 p.m.
CEDAR FALLS, Iowa - The University of Northern Iowa wrestling team is set to host the Reivers of Iowa Western Community College in its second home dual of the season.
UNI just returned from a successful trip at the Midlands Championships, where the Panthers finished ahead of four nationally ranked teams. Ryan Loder's fourth-place finish at 184 pounds and Joey Lazor's seventh-place finish at 141 pounds led UNI to its 13th-place finish.
Coach Doug Schwab's team is looking to improve on its dual record of 1-1. UNI lost on the road to Wisconsin and returned home to beat Ellsworth Community College 46-9.
PROBABLE MATCHUPS (UNI vs. IWCC):
- 125 - Ryan Jauch (0-2) vs. Adrian Lozano (5-5): Jauch, a senior, has moved down from wrestling a heavier weight class last year to take the 125-pound spot for UNI. His first matches of the season came at the Midlands Championships. He won the Cobber Open and was second at the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open last year at 133 pounds. Lozano is a freshman from Sioux City, Iowa. He qualified for the state tournament as a prep wrestler.
- 133 - Levi Wolfensperger (13-4) vs. Seth Stender (0-0): Wolfensperger, a sophomore from Denver, Iowa, is the Finn Grinaker Cobber Open champion and placed fourth at the Cliff Keen Invite in Las Vegas, Nev. Wolfensperger, who qualified for the NCAA national tournament last year, currently is ranked 12th in the nation by Amateur Wrestling News. Stender, a sophomore, won two state prep titles in Nebraska and placed four times.
- 141 - Joey Lazor (18-6) vs. Tyler Nation (7-3) or Peter Stewart (14-8): After struggling with injuries last season, Lazor returned to win the Finn Grinaker Cobber Open, finish seventh at the Midlands Championships and place second at the UNI Open this season. Nation, a freshman, was a three-time Iowa state champion as a prep wrestler. Stewart, a freshman, placed seventh at Iowa's high school state meet.
- 149 - Bart Reiter (5-2) vs. Kasey Einerson (9-7): Reiter, a junior from Gilbertville, Iowa, started his college wrestling career at Minnesota before joining the UNI squad this year. He opened this season at home with a pin in 1:16. In high school, he was a four-time state champion. Einerson, a freshman, was a two-time runner-up at the Wisconsin high school state meet. He placed sixth two other times.
- 157 - David Bonin (15-3) vs. Zak Benitz (10-5): Bonin currently is ranked 18th by Amateur Wrestling News. The senior won the UNI Open, placed second at the Cobber Open and placed fifth at the Cliff Keen Invite. Benitz claimed four All-American honors at the Asics-Vaughn Fargo National Tournament and won the Greco-Roman national title in 2009 as a prep wrestler. He is a former state champion in Wisconsin and placed second twice and third once at the state meet.
- 165 - Riley Banach (5-5) or Jarrett Jensen (10-7) vs. Chase Dunlap (2-6): Jensen and Banach placed first and third, respectively, at the Finn Grinaker Cobber Open. Jensen also placed sixth that UNI Open. Last season, Banach was the Flash Flanagan Open champion and second at the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open. Dunlap, a sophomore, qualified for the 2012 NJCAA National Tournament and won a Louisiana state title in 2011.
- 174 - Cody Caldwell (18-4) vs. Austin Borne (1-6): Caldwell of Waverly, Iowa, currently is ranked 19th by Amateur Wrestling News. He won the Finn Grinaker Cobber Open and UNI Open. He placed seventh at the Cliff Keen Invite. Borne, a sophomore, is a former state champion in Louisiana as a prep wrestler.
- 184 - Ryan Loder (16-3) vs. Devin Peterson (3-3): Loder is a returning NCAA national qualifier and placed fourth at the Midlands Championships this year. He currently is ranked ninth by Amateur Wrestling News. He was third at the Cliff Keen Invite and won the UNI Open. Peterson was the nation's top-ranked wrestler as a senior in high school. He won a state title in Wisconsin his senior year. With four first-period falls, he was only on the mat for 3 minutes and 50 seconds during the entire tournament.
- 197 - A.J. McBroom (3-9) vs. Josh Kloppel (4-9): McBroom was third at the Finn Grinaker Cobber Open. Last year, McBroom placed third at the Duhawk Open. Kloppel placed at the state tournament last year as a prep wrestler in Nebraska.
- 285 - Blayne Beale (8-4) or Cody Krumwiede (8-7) vs. TBD: Beale is a returning NCAA national qualifier and was undefeated in the WWC conference last year. He was fourth at the UNI Open this year. Krumwiede placed second at the Cobber and UNI opens.
UNI is coached by Doug Schwab, who is in his third year with the Panthers. Iowa Western is coached by Josh Watts. This is his second year with the Reivers.