THIS WEEK IN PANTHER VOLLEYBALL
Fri, Sep 13 at Saint Louis 12:00 p.m.
Sat, Sep 14 Green Bay 12:00 p.m.
Green Bay 6:00 p.m.
PANTHERS TRAVEL TO ST. LOUIS FRIDAY, HOME DOUBLEHEADER ON SATURDAY
The University of Northern Iowa volleyball team will travel to St. Louis, MIssouri, on Friday to play Saint Louis University at 12 p.m. The match will be held at the Chaifetz Pavillion on the Saint Louis campus. The Panthers will then return home for a doubleheader on Saturday. UNI will play the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay at 12 p.m. and then again at 6 p.m. Both matches will be held at the McLeod Center.
The matches will be carried by KWLO 1330 AM with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz calling the action. The audio for all matches is available on www.unipanthers.com.
Make sure to follow the UNI volleyball team on Twitter @NORTHERNIOWAVB and like their Facebook page at "UNI Volleyball". Also make sure to follow @UNIAthletics for everything Panther related.
PANTHER QUICK SETS...
•UNI is currently ranked 38th in the nation in digs per set with 16.52 and this puts them third in the MVC in that category as well. They are ranked 69th in the nation and second in the MVC in assists per set as well with 12.67. Kinsey Caldwell is 47th in the nation in assists per set with 10.81. This puts her first in the MVC in that category. Courtney Kintzel is ranked 103rd in the nation and fourth in the MVC in blocks per set with 1.19
• The Panthers hosted in-state rival #11 Iowa State in their home opener at the McLeod Center on Wednesday. UNI fell behind 0-2 early on but fought their way back to tie the match up at 2-2. The Panthers put up a good effort but fell in the fifth set as the Cyclones won the match 3-2.
• UNI set a new single match attendance record of 6,621 at the Iowa State match on Wednesday night. The previous record was 6,490 and was set on September 13, 2011 against Iowa State.
• The Panthers headed north for the NDSU Doublewood Inn Classic in Fargo, North Dakota, last weekend. Their first match of the tournament was against Wisconsin. The Badgers got the best of UNI as they defeated the Panthers 3-2. On Saturday, UNI went up against #17 Louisville. The Panthers upset the Cardinals 3-0 in that match. In the last match of the tournament, UNI went up against the host, North Dakota State. The Panthers swept the Bison 3-0 to finish the weekend.
• Seniors Shelby Kintzel and Macy Ubben were named to the NDSU Doublewood Inn Classic All-Tournament team.
• UNI’s sweep of #17 Louisville was the first time the Panthers have defeated a rank team last year when they defeated #25 Kansas State 3-0 at the NCAA Tournament. This was also the last time UNI defeated a ranked team at a neutral site.
SCOUTING SAINT LOUIS
• Saint Louis University has a 3-4 overall record. The Billikens hosted the Marcia E. Hamilton Classic in their opening weekend of play. They defeated the University of Louisiana at Monroe and fell to Auburn and Nebraska. Last weekend they played in the Comfort Inn Invitational hosted by Morehead State and finished 2-1 at the tournament. Saint Louis currently has a .210 hitting percentage. Freshman Mallory Dillon was named the Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week (Sept. 2). She leads the team with 3.86 kills per set and is second in digs with 2.86 per set. Megan Gilbert leads with 28 blocks (1.27/set) and a .288 hitting percentage. Meredith Boe leads Saint Louis with 9.59 assists per set, and Anna Church has 4.82 digs per set and nine service aces. UNI leads the overall series against Saint Louis 4-2. The last time these two teams met was in 2011 when the Panthers swept Saint Louis at home.
SCOUTING GREEN BAY
• The University of Wisconsin- Green Bay has an 4-2 overall record on the season. The Phoenixes won the Auburn Active Ankle Challenge last weekend. They defeated Troy, Auburn and Mercer to take the title. Green Bay currently has a .201 hitting percentage. Leah Van Zeeland was named MVP of the Auburn Active Ankle Classic and earned Horizon League Player of the Week honors this week. She averages 3.40 kills per set and has a .270 hitting percentage. Katie Mroczenski was named to the Auburn Active Ankle Classic All-Tournament team. She is 20th in the nation in blocks per set with 1.48. Jillian Bauer is ranked 75th in nation for Green Bay in digs per set with 4.60. Emily Riese is 56th in nation in assists per set with 10.72, and Shannon Hurley leads Green Bay with 3.25 kills per set. UNI leads the overall series against Green Bay 2-0. The last time the two teams met was in 2009 when the Panthers swept the Phoenixes.
• The Panther traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah, for the Utah Classic over the weekend. UNI faced Fairfield in their season opener on Friday and swept the Stags 25-17, 25-17, 25-19. The Panthers then went on to play Utah State on Saturday morning and they fell to the Aggies 18-25, 25-9, 19-25, 23-25. UNI came back that night and played the University of Utah. The Panthers fell to the Utes 25-17, 19-25, 18-25, 18-25, in the last match of the tournament.
UTAH CLASSIC ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
• Sophomores Kinsey Caldwell and Courtney Kinztel earned spots on the Utah Classic All-Tournament team. Caldwell recorded 131 assists (11.91/set) and five service aces over the weekend. Kintzel notched 42 kills, including a career high 20 against Utah State, and had .446 hitting percentage.
FIRST WEEK CAREER HIGHS
• Macy Ubben had a career high 22 digs against Utah State over the weekend. Freshman Amie Held racked up an impressive 16 digs in her debut with the Panthers against Fairfield.
STARTING OFF RIGHT
• The Panthers are 10-4 in home openers under head coach Bobbi Petersen and are now 11-3 in season openers.
•The Panthers finished the 2012 season with a 25-10 overall record and a 15-3 record in Missouri Valley Conference play. The Panthers finished second in regular season play in the MVC. UNI returns two starters this season, Shelby Kintzel and Macy Ubben.
MVC PRESEASON POLL/HONORS
•UNI has been selected to finish second in the MVC this season, while Wichita State was voted to take first in the conference with 98 points. The Panthers took second with 84 points, and Missouri State came in third with 83 points. Senior Macy Ubben was named to the 2013 MVC Volleyball Preseason All-Conference Team.
• UNI made its seventh consecutive NCAA tournament appearance during the 2012 season, marking the 18th time that the Panthers have made it in the program’s history. The Panthers defeated Kansas State in the first round of the tournament last season, and then fell to Nebraska in the second round. This gives UNI a14-18 overall record in NCAA tournament play.
TENTH TOURNAMENT TRIP
•Head Coach Bobbi Petersen has led the Panthers to ten NCAA tournament trips. UNI is 9-10 in NCAA tourament play under Petersen, including two trips to the Sweet 16.
• The Panthers have five MVC regular season championships under Bobbi Petersen and 15 overall. These 15 titles came in 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
2012 MVC HONORS
• Macy Ubben was named first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference for the Panthers in 2012. Shelby Kintzel and Macy Ubben both earned first-team MVC Scholar Athlete honors last season as well.
SIXTH IN THE NATION IN ATTENDANCE
• UNI finished sixth in the nation in attendance last season. The Panthers averaged over 3,000 fans per game at the McLeod Center. The Panthers trailed only Hawaii, Nebraska, Penn State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. There were only two other Missouri Valley Conference teams that made this list, Wichita State (7th) and Creighton (35th).