THIS WEEK IN PANTHER VOLLEYBALL
Tues, Oct 8 at Bradley 7:00 p.m.
Fri, Oct 11 at Evansville 7:00 p.m.
Sat, Oct 12 at Southern Illinois 7:00 p.m.
PANTHERS HAVE BUSY WEEK OF CONFERENCE PLAY AHEAD
The University of Northern Iowa has three road conference match ups this week. They will first face Bradley on Tuesday at 7:00 p.m. The match will be played at the Renaissance Coliseum on the Bradley campus. The Panthers will then travel to Indiana to take on Evansville on Friday night at 7:00. That match will be played at The Carson Center on the Evansville campus. UNI will then wrap up the week in Carbondale, Illinois when they take on Southern Illinois at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday. The match will be played at Davies Gym on the Southern Illinois campus.
The matches will be carried by KWLO 1330 AM with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz calling the action. The audio for all matches is available on www.unipanthers.com.
Make sure to follow the UNI volleyball team on Twitter @NORTHERNIOWAVB and like their Facebook page at "UNI Volleyball". Also make sure to follow @UNIAthletics for everything Panther related.
PANTHER QUICK SETS...
• UNI currently has six top 100 national rankings. The Panthers are 22nd in the nation in assists per set (13.34), 23rd in the nation in kills per set (14.06), 31st in the nation in digs per set (16.32), 69th in the nation in match win-loss percentage (0.688), 78th in the nation in hitting percentage (0.236) and 79th blocks per set (2.40).
• The Panthers now have a 3-1 record in the MVC. UNI is currently ranked first in the MVC in assists per set (13.34) and kills per set (14.06). They are second in the MVC in blocks per set (2.40) and third in the MVC in digs per set (16.32), match win-loss percentage (0.688), and hitting percentage (0.236).
•Sophomore Kinsey Caldwell is 24th in the nation and first in the MVC in assists per set with 11.34. Fellow sophomore Courtney Kintzel is 50th in the nation and second in the MVC in blocks per set with 1.25. Freshman Amie Held is currently eighth in the MVC in digs per set with 4.13.
• The Panthers hosted South Dakota State on Tuesday night in the McLeod Center. UNI defeated the Jackrabbits 3-1 in that match. The Panthers are now a perfect 8-0 against SDSU.
• The Panthers out up some impressive number against South Dakota State on Tuesday night. Senior Macy Ubben had a career high 21 kills and freshman Amie Held had a career high 28 digs. Sophomore Kinsey Caldwell tied her season high of 19 digs as well.
• UNI got back into conference play on Saturday when they hosted Drake. The Panthersd made quick work of the Bulldogs, sweeping them 3-0. UNI is now 71-12 overall against Drake and have yet to lose to them since 1984.
• Amie Held earned MVC Freshman of the Week honors for the second time this season. She had a season high 28 digs and two service aces for the Panthers in their 3-1 victory over the South Dakota State. Against Drake on Saturday, Held tallied 18 digs and one service ace as the Panthers swept the Bulldogs 3-0.
• Bradley is 9-5 overall and 3-2 in the MVC. The Braves have defeated Drake, Southern Illinois and Indiana State in conference play and have lost to Evansville and Illinois State. Bradley is 23rd in the nation in digs per set (16.61), 39th in the nation in assists per set (12.91), 65th in the nation in kills per set (13.59) and 91st in the nation in match win-loss percentage (0.643). They are second in the MVC in digs per set and assists per set and fourth in the MVC in kills per set and match win-loss percentage. The Braves currently have a .214 hitting percentage. Lauren Zerante is 27th in the nation and third in the MVC in digs per set with 5.02. Amy Angelos is 87th in the nation and third in the MVC in hitting percentage with 0.351 and 90th in the nation and fourth in the MVC in points per set with 4.14. She also leads the team in kills per set with 3.50. Jessica Teel leads the team in assists per set with 6.02. The Panthers are 54-9 overall against the Braves, and the last time they lost to them was in 2005.
• Evansville is 6-11 overall and 1-5 in the MVC. They defeated Bradley but lost to Illinois State, Indiana State, Loyola, Missouri State and Wichita State. The Purple Aces are 16th in the nation and first in the MVC in digs per set with 16.77. They currently have a .178 hitting percentage. Katie Klages is fifth in the nation and first in the MVC in digs per set with 5.75. Ashley Ring is 79th in the nation and third in the MVC in points per set with 4.17 and 86th in the nation and fourth in the MVC in kills per set with 3.61. Jenn Murphy leads the team in assists per set wtih 9.22, and Megahan Holmes leads with 1.11 blocks per set. UNI has lost only once to Evansville since they began playing them in 1994 and have a 39-1 overall record against them.
SCOUTING SOUTHERN ILLINOIS
• Southern Illinois is 8-10 overall and 3-3 in the MVC. They have defeated Indiana State, Loyola and Missouri State and lost to Illinois State, Bradley, and Wichita State. The Salukis are 89th in the nation and third in the MVC in blocks per set with 2.33. SIU currently has a .190 hitting percentage. Jessica Whitehead is 34th in the nation and second in the MVC in kills per set with 4.09, and 46th in the nation and second in the MVC in points per set with 4.47. Taylor Pippen is 76th in the nation and third in the MVC in blocks per set with 1.18. Hannah Kaminsky leads the team in assists per set with 9.98, and Alex Rivera has 3.99 digs per set for SIU. The Panthers have a 50-7 overall record against SIU and have not lost to them since 1993.
• UNI then hosted Missouri State on September 28. The Panthers were down 0-2 in the match, but they were not about to give up. UNI came back in thrilling fashion and won the set 3-2 over the Bears.
• The Panthers took on Wichita State in the McLeod Center on September 27. This was the first home MVC match for UNI this season. The Panthers won the first set but could not hold off Wichita State. The Shockers won the match 3-1.
• UNI opened MVC play on September 20 when they took on conference newcomer Loyola. The Panthers defeated the Ramblers 3-1 for their seventh consecutive win. UNI is now 13-1 in MVC openers under head coach Bobbi Petersen after their win over Loyola.
• The Panthers traveled to DeKalb, Illinois on September 17 to take on Northern Illinois. UNI took the three set sweep over the Huskies for their sixth consecutive win.
HELD NAMED MVC FRESHMAN OF THE WEEK
• Amie Held was named MVC Freshman Player of the Week. Held recorded a career high 23 digs and two service aces in the Panthers 3-2 win over SLU. In the first game against Green Bay, Held had 19 digs in the Panthers 3-1 win over the Phoenix. In the second game of the day, Held tallied 14 digs in UNI’s 3-0 sweep of Green Bay.
GREEN BAY DOUBLEHEADER
• The Panthers returned home on September 14 to play a doubleheader against the University of Wisconsin-Green Bay. In the first game, UNI defeated Green Bay 3-1. The teams returned later that night and the Panthers swept the Phoenix 3-0 in that contest.
BATTLE IN SAINT LOUIS
• On September 13, the Panthers traveled to Missouri to take on Saint Louis University. UNI played a thrilling five set match against SLU. The Panthers won the match 3-2 (29-31, 25-19, 33-31, 18-25, 16-14). A total of 241 points were scored in the match, and the Panthers had four players with double digit kills.
NDSU DOUBLEWOOD INN CLASSIC
• The Panthers headed north for the NDSU Doublewood Inn Classic in Fargo, North Dakota, on Sep 6-7. Their first match of the tournament was against Wisconsin. The Badgers got the best of UNI as they defeated the Panthers 3-2. On Saturday, UNI went up against #17 Louisville. The Panthers upset the Cardinals 3-0 in that match. In the last match of the tournament, UNI went up against the host, North Dakota State. The Panthers swept the Bison 3-0 to finish the weekend. Seniors Shelby Kintzel and Macy Ubben were named to the NDSU Doublewood Inn Classic All-Tournament team.
DEFEATING A RANKED TEAM
• UNI’s sweep of #17 Louisville was the first time the Panthers have defeated a rank team last year when they defeated #25 Kansas State 3-0 at the NCAA Tournament. This was also the last time UNI defeated a ranked team at a neutral site.
• The Panthers hosted in-state rival #11 Iowa State in their home opener at the McLeod Center on Sep 4. UNI fell behind 0-2 early on but fought their way back to tie the match up at 2-2. The Panthers put up a good effort but fell in the fifth set as the Cyclones won the match 3-2.
NEW SINGLE MATCH ATTENDANCE RECORD
• UNI set a new single match attendance record of 6,621 at the Iowa State match on September 4th. The previous record was 6,490 and was set on September 13, 2011 against Iowa State.
STARTING OFF RIGHT
• The Panthers are 10-4 in home openers under head coach Bobbi Petersen and are now 11-3 in season openers.
• The Panther traveled to Salt Lake City, Utah, for the Utah Classic on Aug 30-31. UNI faced Fairfield in their season opener on Friday and swept the Stags 25-17, 25-17, 25-19. The Panthers then went on to play Utah State on Saturday morning and they fell to the Aggies 18-25, 25-9, 19-25, 23-25. UNI came back that night and played the University of Utah. The Panthers fell to the Utes 25-17, 19-25, 18-25, 18-25, in the last match of the tournament.
UTAH CLASSIC ALL-TOURNAMENT TEAM
• Sophomores Kinsey Caldwell and Courtney Kinztel earned spots on the Utah Classic All-Tournament team. Caldwell recorded 131 assists (11.91/set) and five service aces over the weekend. Kintzel notched 42 kills, including a career high 20 against Utah State, and had .446 hitting percentage.
FIRST WEEK CAREER HIGHS
• Macy Ubben had a career high 22 digs against Utah State over the weekend. Freshman Amie Held racked up an impressive 16 digs in her debut with the Panthers against Fairfield.
•The Panthers finished the 2012 season with a 25-10 overall record and a 15-3 record in Missouri Valley Conference play. The Panthers finished second in regular season play in the MVC. UNI returns two starters this season, Shelby Kintzel and Macy Ubben.
MVC PRESEASON POLL/HONORS
•UNI has been selected to finish second in the MVC this season, while Wichita State was voted to take first in the conference with 98 points. The Panthers took second with 84 points, and Missouri State came in third with 83 points. Senior Macy Ubben was named to the 2013 MVC Volleyball Preseason All-Conference Team.
• UNI made its seventh consecutive NCAA tournament appearance during the 2012 season, marking the 18th time that the Panthers have made it in the program’s history. The Panthers defeated Kansas State in the first round of the tournament last season, and then fell to Nebraska in the second round. This gives UNI a14-18 overall record in NCAA tournament play.
TENTH TOURNAMENT TRIP
•Head Coach Bobbi Petersen has led the Panthers to ten NCAA tournament trips. UNI is 9-10 in NCAA tourament play under Petersen, including two trips to the Sweet 16.
• The Panthers have five MVC regular season championships under Bobbi Petersen and 15 overall. These 15 titles came in 1986, 1987, 1988, 1990,1991, 1994, 1995, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2006, 2009, 2010 and 2011.
2012 MVC HONORS
• Macy Ubben was named first-team All-Missouri Valley Conference for the Panthers in 2012. Shelby Kintzel and Macy Ubben both earned firstteam MVC Scholar Athlete honors last season as well.
SIXTH IN THE NATION IN ATTENDANCE
• UNI finished sixth in the nation in attendance last season. The Panthers averaged over 3,000 fans per game at the McLeod Center. The Panthers trailed only Hawaii, Nebraska, Penn State, Minnesota and Wisconsin. There were only two other Missouri Valley Conference teams that made this