NCAA colleges and universities nominated 446 female student-athletes for the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year award.
The University of Northern Iowa has nominated Kayla McCormick (Caledonia, Minn./Caledonia HS) for the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year award.
The Woman of the Year award honors graduating female student-athletes who have distinguished themselves throughout their collegiate careers in academics, athletics, service and leadership.
Of the nominees, 205 competed in Division I, 75 competed in Division II, and -166 competed in Division III athletics.
The NCAA encourages each member school to honor its top graduating female student-athletes each year by submitting their names for consideration for the Woman of the Year award.
Each conference then selects up to two women from the nominees to represent the conference. The Woman of the Year selection committee selects the top 30 honorees – 10 from each division – from the conference nominees.
From among those 30 candidates, the selection committee determines the top three in each division and announces the top nine finalists in September. The NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics will then vote from among the finalists to determine the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year.
The top 30 honorees will be honored, and the 2014 NCAA Woman of the Year winner will be announced, at the annual ceremony in Indianapolis on Sunday, Oct. 19.
For a complete list of nominees click here.
Kayla McCormick, UNI, Women's Swimming & Diving, Senior
- 3.91 cumulative GPA in Movement and Exercise Science (Exercise Science and Sport Psychology) with a coaching minor
- Dean's List (six semesters)
- MVC Swimming & Diving Scholar Athlete (2012, 2013)
- UNI Sport Psychology Research Team (2012-present)
- Presenter at North Central Sport Psychology Conference (February 2013)
- Fellowship of Christian Athletes leader (2013-present)
- SAAC Secretary (2012-13)
- SAAC Co-President (2013-14)
- Vacation Bible School Leader - Caledonia, Minn. (2011)
- NCAA Leadership Forum Participant in Chicago, Ill. (2011)
- Volunteer - Waterloo Park to Park Half Marathon
- Mentor - Camp Embracing Memories
- Mentor - Northeast Iowa Special Olympics
- Volunteer Coach - UNI Swimming Clinic and Northeast Iowa Special Olympics Swim Meet
- Just Read Program
- Waterloo Catholic Worker House
- Cedar Valley Boys and Girls Club
- Phone volunteer at KWWL Variety of Iowa Telethon
- UNI Relay for Life team captain
- "Change for Change" fundraiser for Waterloo Seeds of Hope Women's Shelter