August 30 - at Creighton (Dual Match)
The UNI women's golf team look to open its 2011 season on August 30 with a dual meet in Omaha, Neb. against the Creighton Bluejays. Following this meet, UNI will head to Myrtle Beach, S.C., to take part in the Golfweek Challenge from Sept. 11-13th.
ON THE TEE BOX
- The Panthers have added three freshman to the team who are looking to start off the year on the right foot. (Taylor Diehl, Staci Goodale, Sonja Przybylski)
- The top two returners, Brittany Atterbury and Blair Bonner, are back looking to best last year's stroke average. With Atterbury at 78.79 and Bonner at 78.66.
- UNI will be looking to repeat their success against Creighton after last year's 340-344 victory.
- UNI ended the 2010 season in a tie for 7th at MVC Championship in Normal, Ill.
- The Panthers return 10 of their golfers from last season.
- UNI will be looking to better its season best finish of second last year at the Creighton Classic, later this year.
Head Coach John Bermel
John Bermel is in his 10th season as the head women's golf coach at the University of Northern Iowa. He took over the women's coaching duties in 2002. Bermel is in his 16th year as UNI's head men's golf coach.
A three-time NCAA Division III All-American and four-year varsity letter winner at Central College in Pella, Iowa., Bermel brings nearly 20 years of competitive and teaching experience to UNI.
In 1990, Bermel became the head golf professional at Beaver Hills Country Club in Cedar Falls, a position he held until December 1995. He currently is the head professional at Pheasant Ridge Golf Course, also in Cedar Falls.
Bermel is also the Teaching Instructor of Executive Golf Limited. He has worked with some of the best golf instructors in the United States in order to learn and teach the latest methods of golf instruction. In July 2009, Golf Digest named Bermel "The Best Teacher" of golf in the state of Iowa, based on a poll of golf instructors.