THIS WEEK IN PANTHER TENNIS
The University of Northern Iowa women's tennis team will open the spring season at home against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits on Sunday the 29th. The match will be held at the Black Hawk Tennis Club in Waterloo, Iowa, and will begin at 11:00 a.m.
LET THE SEASON BEGIN
- The University of Northern Iowa women's tennis team will begin the spring season at home against the South Dakota State Jackrabbits this Sunday. This is the first match for the Panthers since the last day of the Missouri Valley Conference Individual Championships on October 7, 2011.
LAST SDSU VS. UNI MEETING
- The last time that UNI and SDSU met was in the 2008 spring season. The Panthers swept the Jackrabbits 7-0 in that meeting.
AIMING FOR THE TOP THIS SEASON
- The Panthers had a very successful season last spring. They had a 16-9 record overall and ended the regular season in second place in the Missouri Valley Conference with a 6-1 record. The Panthers are hoping to take that top spot in the MVC this year.
NEW PLAYER ADDED FOR THE 2011 SPRING SEASON
- Lindsay Cayton is the newest addition to the Panther squad for the 2012 spring season. Cayton, a junior from Marion, Iowa, walked-on after transferring from Kirkwood Community College.
PANTHERS 2011 FALL SEASON
- UNI's women tennis team competed in three tournaments this fall, including their home invitational. The Panthers had a 29-26 record for the fall.
- Senior Jessica Kunzelmann (Bollschwiel, Germany) finished with a 5-3 singles record and a 5-3 doubles record this fall. She was co-champion of the Gold singles flight with teammate Cassandra Dix at the UNI Invitational. Kunzelmann reached the semifinals of the Flight A singles bracket at the Drake Invitational, but fell to Jamie Weinriech of Nebraska. She also earned Missouri Valley Conference Scholar Athlete of the Week this fall.
- Junior Stefannia Sampaio had a singles record of 4-4 and finished with a 5-3 doubles record this fall. Sampaio and teammate Cassandra Dix won the Gold doubles bracket at the UNI Invitational
- Sophomores Chelsea Moore and Krissy Lankelma both had singles records of 3-5. They teamed up to have a doubles record of 6-3, which was the best on the team. They reached the semifinals of the Flight 1 doubles at the Missouri Valley Conference Individual Championships but fell to Anna Kirshenbaum and Analese Snyder of Creighton 8-4.
FRESHMAN START OFF STRONG
- Freshman Cassandra Dix (Northamptonshire, UK) and Nina Pfahler (Esslingen, Germany) had very impressive fall seasons for the Panthers. Dix had a 7-2 singles record, which was the best on the team, and a 5-4 record in doubles. Dix was co-champion of the Gold singles flight with teammate Jessica Kunzelmann at the UNI Invitational. She teamed up with Stefannia Sampaio to win the Gold doubles bracket at the same invite. Dix was also a runner-up in the Flight 4 singles at the Missouri Valley Conference Individual Championships, which was the highest finish of the team. Pfahler had a 5-4 singles record and a 5-3 doubles record this fall. She won the Flight A consolations at the Drake Invitational. She took fifth place in the Flight 1 singles at the MVC Individual Championships.