Lincoln, Ne.- The University of Northern Iowa women's tennis team was defeated by the Air Force Academy Eagles 6-1 this afternoon in Lincoln, Nebraska.
In doubles play, Tahlia Smoke and Melissa Cecil of Air Force defeated the UNI team of Krissy Lanelma and Chelsea Moore 8-3 in the No. 1 match. Nina Pfahler and Jessica Kunzlemann were the only doubles winners for the Panthers, defeating the Eagles' Hannah Daike and Natasha Rizvi 8-5 in the No. 2 match. Cassandra Dix and Stefannia Sampaio fell to Tiffany Tran and Christine Molina of Air Force 8-3 in the No. 3 match.
Nina Pfahler had the lone singles win for the Panthers. She defeated Melissa Cecil of Air Force 5-7, 6-4 (10-3). The Eagles' Christine Molina defeated Cassandra Dix 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 2 match. Jessica Kunzelmann fell to Tiffany Tran of Air Force 7-6, 6-4 in the No. 3 match. Chelsea Moore lost her No. 4 match to Tahlia Smoke 6-3, 6-3. In the No. 5 match, Krissy Lankelma fell to Air Force's Hannah Dake 6-2, 6-3. Air Force's Natasha Rizvi defeated Stefannia Sampaio 6-2, 6-0 in the No. 6 match.
"It was a tough weekend for us," said Head Coach Sachin Kirtane. "We battled hard, but we were unlucky and couldn't get the big points."
The Panthers will return to action February 18 when they take on Western Illinois at 10:00 a.m. at home.
1) Tahlia Smoke/Melissa Cecil (AF) def. Krissy Lankelma/Chelsea Moore (UNI) 8-3
2) Nina Pfahler/Jessica Kunzelmann (UNI) def. Hannah Daike/Natasha Rizvi (AF) 8-5
3) Tiffany Tran/Christine Molina (AF) def. Cassandra Dix/Stefannia Sampaio (UNI) 8-3
1) Nina Pfahler (UNI) def. Melissa Cecil (AF) 5-7, 6-4 (10-3)
2) Christine Molina (AF) def. Cassandra Dix (UNI) 6-4, 6-2
3) Tiffany Tran (AF) def. Jessica Kunzelmann (UNI) 7-6, 6-4
4) Tahlia Smoke (AF) def. Chelsea Moore (UNI) 6-3, 6-3
5) Hannah Dake (AF) def. Krissy Lankelma (UNI) 6-2, 6-3
6) Natasha Rizvi (AF) def. Stefannia Sampaio (UNI) 6-2, 6-0